Ian has significant experience representing individuals and businesses in a wide variety of disputes including criminal defense, civil rights litigation, class action lawsuits, and commercial litigation.
On the civil side, Ian has litigated complex cases in federal courts throughout the country. In his criminal practice, Ian has a demonstrated success of skillfully representing clients in Missouri state and federal courts.
An accomplished appellate practitioner, Ian capably speaks truth to power. Regularly briefing and arguing appeals, Ian is adept at exposing trial errors and attaining justice for his clients.
Before joining Margulis Gelfand, Ian was an associate at a larger St. Louis law firm, where he specialized in civil litigation and criminal defense.
Ian had a life before pursuing a career in law and he understands real people with real problems. Ian managed a unique restaurant and music venue in rural Montana, co-founded a media production business in downtown St. Louis, and fought for the rights of disabled people in Missouri as a legal assistant with a disability firm.
Ian obtained his undergraduate degree from Fordham University in New York City and graduated cum laude from Washington University in St. Louis School of Law. During law school, Ian completed a judicial clerkship-externship at the Missouri Court of Appeals for the Eastern District of Missouri, interned with the Missouri State Public Defender, and served as Primary Editor of the Washington University Jurisprudence Review.
Ian is actively involved in his community, presently serving as the Chair Elect for the BAMSL Criminal Practice Section and as a member of the Young Professionals Board of Marygrove, a charitable organization partnered with Catholic Charities and United Way of Greater St. Louis.
When not practicing law, you may find Ian training for his next marathon, cheering on his beloved Cardinals, or wrangling his Golden Retriever—often all at once!
- Obtained a reversal on appeal on all counts of conviction by the Missouri Court of Appeals for the Eastern District for an individual charged with multiple sex crimes.
- Persuaded Missouri prosecutors not to prosecute a man accused of a sex crime against a child.
- Obtained a very favorable settlement in federal civil litigation for a client alleged to have violated the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Successfully prevailed in securing the withdrawal of a felony guilty plea based on State v. Bazell and renegotiated a misdemeanor guilty plea.
- Client charged with Felony First Degree Tampering with a Motor Vehicle; negotiated a resolution of probation with no criminal conviction.
- Client charged with Felony Distribution and Possession of Controlled Substance; negotiated a resolution of probation with no criminal conviction.
- Client charged with Felony Financial Exploitation of a Disabled Person; negotiated a resolution of probation with no criminal conviction.
- Successfully prevailed on appeal in a civil litigation dispute involving property.